Sunday, July 01, 2007

Leahy: "They've chosen confrontation rather than compromise or cooperation,"

Looks like Leahy will follow up on the subpoenas. The white House is claiming Executive Privilege, but there's a catch to that.

From the AP:

Patrick Leahy ready to fight White House
By HOPE YEN, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jul 1, 3:57 PM ET

The Senate Judiciary Committee chairman said Sunday he was ready to go to court if the White House resiPsted congressional subpoenas for information on the firing of federal prosecutors.

"If they don't cooperate, yes I'd go that far," said Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. He was asked in a broadcast interview whether he would seek a congressional vote on contempt citations if President Bush did not comply. That move would push the matter to court.

"They've chosen confrontation rather than compromise or cooperation," Leahy said. "The bottom line on this U.S. attorneys' investigation is that we have people manipulating law enforcement. Law enforcement can't be partisan."

At issue is whether the White House exerted undue political influence in the Justice Department's firing of prosecutors. Leahy's hardening stance is pushing the Democratic-led investigation ever closer to a constitutional showdown over executive power and Congress' right to oversight.

The White House accused the committee of overreaching.

"After thousands of pages of documents, interviews and testimony by Justice Department officials, it's clear that there's simply no merit for this overreach," presidential spokesman Tony Fratto said.

He said Leahy "is seeking access to candid and confidential deliberations from the president's advisers — an intrusion he would never subject his own staff to. We have gone to great lengths to accommodate the committee in their oversight responsibilities."

Separately, the Senate has subpoenaed the White House and Vice President Dick Cheney's office for documents related to the administration's legal basis for conducting warrant-free eavesdropping on people in the United States.

Leahy and Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., who heads the House Judiciary Committee, have demanded a White House explanation by July 9 as to its grounds for claiming executive privilege in refusing to turn over additional documents.

The two lawmakers say that regardless of whether the White House meets the deadline, they would begin acting to enforce the subpoenas as appropriate under the law.

Legal experts have been somewhat divided over the scope of a president's power to shield information and ensure candid advice from top aides. The dispute, if it does head to court, could take months and ultimately outlast the remaining term of Bush's presidency, which ends in January 2009.

Last week, White House counsel Fred Fielding said Bush was claiming executive privilege. Bush also was invoking the privilege to prevent Harriet Miers, the former White House counsel, and Sara Taylor, the former political director, from testifying publicly under oath. More Here.

But here's the issue..."The president and the vice president are not above the law any more than you and I are," Leahy said.

And that is the crux of the matter with this administration. They think they are above the law and try to rig the rules to keep it that way. No other President and his admin have ever pushed this far into becoming close to a dictatorship!

1 comment:

Cat Chew said...

Hiya, Toni!

I popped in last Sammyday too, but you had comments to-be-moderated and I'm not sure you read what I wrote. That's okay. I have a mind like a sieve lately and I don't quite remember what I wrote ;)

I read some of the comments here, and am wondering if I should bother reading back on the threads at Seder's. I don't know if you're taking a vacation from the frustrations of the motherblog, or if you're just devoting more time to your own place, but it seems like you're in high gear here today. Good reading!

Things are busy and weird in my neighborhood right now. I'm an occasional astrologer and I will tell you that I think Seder's blog is extra kerflooey because the planet Mercury is retrograde at the moment. This too will pass. Mercury goes direct after July 9. I'd predict a return to normalcy except that blog has never been "normal" :)

It is still always a pleasure. Really like the post before this, btw. Here in Michigan there seems to be no scandal but one of our US Attys went missing and our Republican Secretary of State (who has no authority to clear the voter rolls, that is the distinct business of city and county clerks here) spent a few million dollars sending out first class mail to registered voters, in an incompetent caging effort. If it wasn't a caging effort, it was just a waste of millions of dollars. No one is looking into it, no one cares that big bucks were wasted (in a state that is near bankrupt) by a Republican SoS. I guess it's okay because at least the money didn't go to widows and orphans, aka Welfare Queens!

*Sigh*

Is something going on at Sam's place that I missed?
I've been avoiding the blog lately because it makes me feel sad a lot of the time. I'm still at vestal-at-myway-dot-com. Um, if I missed something important and weird that you noticed, please point me to the thread or tell me what happened. Oh, if you don't have the time to tell me, that's okay, too. Just say something happened. I'm a curious enough person that I will start looking through the threads and finding out on my own. No worries in any case. You're still aces! Good bloggage here! I shall return :)